Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Bargain Hunters - Don't Go In The Cellar

Her: I am looking for a particular book.

Me: What is it?

Her: Erm...(Consults notebook) Venus in Furs by...

Me: We should have that in stock. (I look under M - I look under V - I find it under S)

Her: How much is it?

Me: It should say on the back there...£8.99 maybe? £7.99

Her: £7.99 Jeez that's a lot.

Me: Hmmm.

Her: It's £6.99 in Wastrones...

Me: Is the walk worth a quid?

Her: Yes, I think it is - goodbye. (Mutters) I was hoping for a bargain.

Me: Would you step into our dungeon where a team of vertically challanged sadists will abuse you for your pleasure?

The last bit is made up. The rest is true!

2 comments:

  1. People can be unsufferably rude - and cruel. All for £1. Unbelievable.

    Of course, what you *should* have said was "that £1 extra you pay actually goes to nourishing the supply chain, ensuring the publisher makes a bigger profit, and allowing them to invest in higher quality fiction in the future, and promoting greater diversity in the book market".

    Mind you, difficult to say all that a) on the spur of the moment, and b) remain calm when all you want to do is punch her.

    I think that's what they call L'Esprit d'Escalier...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could probably charge more than £1 for a dungeon like that.

    ReplyDelete