Monday, September 17, 2007

Weirdos

Some proper nutters in the shop today (don't you love these transference posts?)

First off a lady asking about books on breakdancing. For some reason(maybe to do with her not-young-ness or the fact she was not skinny/gangly like a breakdancer at all if you know what I mean) I assumed the book would be for a son or nephew or something.

"No, it's for me. I've always wanted to learn how to do it. That head-spinning - just wonderful."

I kid you not. My head was certainly spinning by the time she left.

Then there was the bloke who wanted me to order an out of print book off the Internet for him. I quoted a price.

"Hmmm. I've seen it cheaper on the net."

"Well why don't you buy it yourself then?"

"Well I don't have regular access. I could tell you the site where I saw it and you could order it from there?"

HELLO! ARE YOU REALLY REALLY DUMB! DO I LOOK LIKE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO THAN THAT?

"Er, that's not how it works really. We have to add something on top to make it worth our while."

"Oh."

Indeed.

(I didn't tell him about the special wooden knitting needles I ordered off the net for one of our bestest but computerless customers. That's the way it works in the non-corporate world though. She's a good customer so I'll do almost anything for her.)

And finally there was the man who wanted me to search for books on some boxer I'd never heard of. There weren't any books. He got angry.

"Why don't you got any books on 'im?"

"Er, nobody's written any...maybe you could do some research and write one?"

"Me, I can't even read! That's a joke man."

Amazingly he left without smashing my face in...I just hope none of his mates can read either. If they come across this I'm dead!

(PS There is no shame in not being able to read. But boxing is a stupid activity and makes you more and more stupid as time goes by.)

3 comments:

  1. An eventful day I see..

    Time for a Wierdometer which you can stick at the entrance that will bar entry to people who are too 'wierd' or 'stupid'. Obviously it will have to differentiate between them and those who are merely eccentric!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seen a number of drunks along Lower Marsh- do they ever enter the shop and ask for a pint??

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to work at Waterstones and there was one famous occasion when a lady came in and asked for a large scotch. We directed her to the pub next door...

    Strangely I have had far less trouble from drunks etc in Waterloo than when I used to work in a shop in Belsize Park. We were forever attempting to throw people out and almost getting thumped for our trouble.

    ReplyDelete