Friday, April 03, 2009

Holiday Reading

This was supposed to go in the bag for my holiday next week but I picked it up and couldn't stop. Finished it in one sitting which for people who know me Never. Happens. At. All.

Ok, so I'm a cyclist. I don't race but I do go on the occasional 70 mile trip through rolling home counties countryside but this is a book about cycling much as The Damned Utd is about football - may be useful to know about footie or cycling but not essential. (I also happen to think this a better book than Utd - sorry Mr Peace)

Anyway as I never finish a book in one go Ever. At. All. This one comes as recommended.

"Meyrueis, Lozere, June 26, 1977. Hot and overcast. I take my gear out of the car and put my bike together. Tourists and locals are watching from sidewalk cafes. Non-racers. The emptiness of those lives shocks me."

ps It took 24 years to get translated into English. Don't you just love our attitude to books in other languages?


No comments:

Post a Comment