Monday, April 02, 2007

The Summer of Katya by Trevanian

I love it when I discover a writer I've never heard of and they turn out to be brilliant.

It happens with regularity as no matter how well-read you think you are there are many lifetimes worth of great books out there to be discovered.

Trevanian wrote under several different names. He wrote fiction and non-fiction. A small, new and exciting publisher called Old Street Publishing are on a mission to bring his writing back to our attention.

At first I found The Summer of Katya a little annoying. The action seemed to move slowly and although there were many dark hints as to what might be to come it all seemed to be taking a long time. But there comes a point in the book where everything comes together and the action explodes. The fact it has taken a while to get going ceases to matter. In fact it could be persuasively argued that this gradual ratcheting up of tension was all part of the plan...

Anyway, it's out in June with more to follow later in the year.

Great stuff, thanks Old Street!

3 comments:

  1. grr. I have a copy of the proof in london(not much help as I'm in Bath now) - I really liked the eiger sanction. I wish I had it now with me here in Bath. I'll just have to wait till the end of the month when I pop back to get more of my stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Saber - hope it's all going well in Bath. We can't wait for the shop to open.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello there, Ben Yarde-Buller from Old Street here. Thanks for this nice write up, which I discovered during one of my obsessive trawls through the cyber ether in search of morale boosts. I was hoping to speak to someone maybe about the possibility of setting up events/launches? My email is ben.yb@oldstreetpublishing.co.uk if you have a moment to drop me a line.

    ReplyDelete