Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Heavy




Well I finished The Kindly Ones by Jonathan Littell before Christmas.

It was disgusting. Horriffic. At times I found I wanted to scream with rage at the horror of it all.

In other words it was an excellent novel.

Then I read the Girl Who Played With Fire by Stieg Larsson. In a similar manner to The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo I found the book took a while to build up and then exploded at a certain point and became almost impossible to put down.

Now I am sitting writing these words with just minutes to go before closing time. Then I will drive home on my Scooter to read some more of Roberto Bolano's 2666. Know what? I'm just 44 pages in and already I know this is the best of a recent crop of excellent books.

Some books call to me, I could read them FOREVER. Bolano has the magic people, he has the magic...



No comments:

Post a Comment