Friday, November 10, 2006

Credit where credit is due

In marked contrast to my usual moaning and critical post (see below) I would like to make clear just how much I admired and enjoyed DBC Pierre's travelogue/documentery on channel 4 last night. I've never been able to get into his books but despite that it is quite clear the man is a natural born storyteller and thankfully we had a producer and director who were happy to let Pierre do the talking and not attempt ridiculous 'dramatisations of events'. (Although they were guilty of the occasional CGI reproduction of the Aztec capital. It didn't look nearly as grand as Pierre was telling us.)
The apparently permanently drunk presenter switched his narrative continuously between different personas and different tenses but was totally engaging at all times. Maybe he has found a new career as a 21st century gin blossomed and tequila'd Michael Palin. I hope so, he's a telly natural.

No comments:

Post a Comment