Thursday, May 10, 2007

Echos Drown the Conversation Out...

I had a lovely bank holiday weekend. I've been meaning to blog about it ever since but loads of things have prevented me...

What did I do? Very little. Having said that I was at the football on Saturday watching FFC beat the European Champions. Finn was given a free fanzine (There's Only One F In Fulham) for being the youngest fan the bloke had seen that day. The nipper has now seen us lose to Man City, draw with Blackburn and beat Liverpool. I am going to approach the fanzine and see if they want me to write a Knee High view of life at Craven Cottage, written by me but from the point of view of Finn.

Then on Sunday we did hardly anything. I sat in a chair in the kitchen and read every minute I was not needed for acts in aid of a happy family life.

On Monday we also did hardly anything. I sat in a chair in the kitchen and read for every minute I was not needed for acts in aid of a happy family life. But Finn went to sleep during the middle of the day for about three hours.

Bliss! Mary and I were looking at each other at one point during this unheard of period of infant sleep - this is what life used to be like! We did what we wanted to do! (I read books while Mary created Eden out the back door)

So there I am, there were three elements to my pleasure.

1: Alternate drinks of coffee and green tea. I have a new coffee system that involves grinding my own beans then producing the ultimate stove top espresso. Then I drink pots of green tea out of tiny glasses. The Tea is called Moon Palace (like the Paul Auster novel) Then more coffee, then more tea - eat a few dried apricots in between. Fucki*n great.

2: Music. Scott Pack bought an Internet radio ages ago and blogged about the joys of listening to Chinese radio etc. I now have one of these superb gadgets (thanks Mike Leigh!) and am loving listening to Moroccan radio.

3: Books. Three of them. The Savage Detectives by Roberto Bolano. When I got bored of Mexican poets I would switch to Streetwise by Mohamed Choukri for some Moroccan street life. When that stopped doing the trick it was back to Bolano - coffee for Bolano, tea for Choukri. At the end of the day, now with a glass of wine in hand, I had Platanov's The Fierce and Beautiful World to delight my mind.

Just a perfect weekend. Premiership survival (mid-table mediocrity again next season please!) family stuff and some fantastic reading...

No comments:

Post a Comment