Saturday, January 26, 2008

...you can't fix your bed with it though can you?

Settle back with a smug grin traditional book-lovers and prepare to shrivel geekoids as I bang the final nail into the (admittedly rather spiffily designed) coffin of the e-reader/kindle/futurerubbishnamefortheproductformerlyknownasthebook.

There was a bit of a disaster last night. We broke our bed. (That's enough sniggering there at the back! Finn likes to bounce - let's just say dad was trying to bounce too and leave it at that ok. You know I have this amazing knack of breaking stuff? I broke the feet off our shop heater this week. Now I bust the bed. It's what I do. OK?)

So the bed broke. Then I broke it again. More. On this occasion the breakage had nothing at all to do with the fact last night was Burn's night. Or that a certain experimental jazz band called Dog Soup were playing in the crypt of the Church at the end of our road.

But I've been digressing from the start...

The bed was broken. We had to sleep. We fixed it. How?

USING BOOKS! REAL BOOKS! MADE OF PAPER! AND WE DIDN'T WAKE UP TILL 8am! MORE SLEEP THAN I'VE HAD FOR BLOODY AGES!

In fact I'm so chuffed with our new book-bed I may put my foot down and say we have to keep it.

Before you ask I will not be posting photos for fear of causing offence to those whose proof copies may have been used to prop us up all night. A better fate still than the books that end up being sent to HMP Altcourse where - legend has it - the crims drill holes in unwanted books...

PS At C & P we don't do returns. Why? 'Cos we're stupid and lazy. Er, I mean because we never make mistakes - all the books we buy are great!

PPS If people stop reading real books I can always go into book furniture design eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment