Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Booksellers Fight Terror

I have a new hero. Arthur Burton-Garbett - described in the paper as an "antiquarian bookseller" gave chase to one of the failed 21st July tube bombers.

"Mr Burton-Garbett, an antiquarian bookseller on his way to Spitalfields market in east London, got off the train and gave chase. He said he had heard what he thought was a pistol going off and recognised the smell of cordite. He had done national service at the Ministry of Defence weapons establishment at Shoeburyness. "I thought, that's a detonator," he said.

"When he [Mr Mohammed] shot out of the door, I shot out too. I turned right and hugged the wall and chased him.

"He went up [the escalator] like an express train. I was running out of steam so I shouted to people, 'Stop that man, get the police'. When I got to the top of the stairs, he was nowhere to be seen."


Ok so the CCTV pics are a bit blurry but I'd say the gentleman concerned is on the old side. Is he the antique or are the books?

Anyway it's further proof that old stuff is great!

And that booksellers are at the forefront of the "war on terror".

1 comment: