Saturday, August 25, 2007

And there's more...

Why Is There Something Rather Than Nothing by Leszek Kolakowski

In the last two years I have turned 30, had a son and opened a bookshop. In other words I've had quite a lot on my mind! Or rather my mind has been turned upside down and inside out...

I felt I needed to re-orient my brain and this book was a great way to do just that.

This is not a book of the Very Short Introduction or Beginner's Guide type. Kolakowski takes a few central ideas from 23 "Great Philosophers", many of which are in the form of questions. He then explains these central ideas clearly and asks further questions at the end of each section. In other words if you are looking for answers then this is NOT the book for you...(There's bound to be a knock at the door bringing a Jehovah's Witness soon though - they have all the answers, or so they say...)

But if you want confirmation that you do actually believe something in this mixed up world and enjoy mental gymnastics then you, like me, will probably love it.






















No comments:

Post a Comment